View Single Post
Old
05-10-2011, 07:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There's really two parts to the draft though. There's the first round, where over 60% of players become career NHL players, and then there's the rest. Less than 25% of second round picks become career NHL players, and past that, we're talking low single digits.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a discussion about a team's drafting and limit it to round one. That's not to say that management doesn't deserve credit for picks outside of round one, rather that it could/should be a separate discussion.

Well, of our first round picks from the past thirteen years, we have:

Manny Malhotra
Pavel Brendl
Jamie Lundmark
Dan Blackburn
Hugh Jessiman
Al Montoya
Lauri Korpikoski
Marc Staal
Bob Sanguinetti
Alexei Cherepanov
----------
Michael Del Zotto
Chris Kreider
Dylan McIlrath

I'm going 13 years, as we'll exclude the past three classes, since it's impossible to make any type of reasonable conclusions as to what they'll become. So for the ten years that we're counting, we've drafted one impact player. ONE. That's incomprehensibly bad. Worst in the NHL? I don't know, as I'm not fully aware of ever other team's drafts. I can't under any circumstances though believe that one in ten is anything other than well below average.

We don't even have to talk about star players....just impact players. We're left with Marc Staal, a second/third line tweener in Korpikoski, a third line checking center in Malhotra, and a bunch of crap. It's not good. Not even passable.
Well my time frame for my above stated opinions is strictly the past 6 years or so, post lock-out. That was a major turning point for this organization and I generally avoid dwelling on all the dark seasons of Rangers fandom. Post lockout time frame I have a favorable opinion of the Rangers drafting history.....

Lots of elements of the game can be viewed in different lights depending on your time frame of reference. For example, Brodeur and the Devils just flat out DOMINATED the Rangers for several years between the late 90's and early 2000's. 23 game (15-0-8) unbeaten streak against us, humiliating. But over the last 4-5 years the Rangers have fared significantly better against the Devils to the point where it's Lundqvist who has the impressive record against our rivals and not Brodeur. Looking at the Rangers/Devils rivalry leaves you with quite a different impression depending on whether you go back 5 years, or 13.... On that note, overall I'm pleased with the Rangers drafting over the last several years.... Beyond that, not so much. A large bulk of the fan base wasn't really even paying attention to who the Rangers drafted in those years because you never saw them play. Nothing really positive about what happened with this organization after the '93-'94 season.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.