View Single Post
Old
05-10-2011, 08:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
They aren't separate issues. We haven't drafted an offensive difference maker this decade, and that has forced us to overpay for crappy UFA players who are overrated as well as overpaid and underwhelming.

Obviously the crappy drafting doesn't excuse the UFA bombs but we essentially tried to fix our terrible 1st Round picks with terrible UFAs.

Either way, the results have been awful, though there is reason to hope. Though there was reason to hope 3 years ago with Korpikoski, Sanguinetti etc.
Did you look at how this team was constructed in 2005-2006? The majority of the players had never played a single game for the Rangers prior to that season. We had a ton of stop-gap players, young and old. A bigger contributing factor to making those 'UFA bombs' was the lack of an established core of players. We had significant roster turnover for a handful of years of players who had helped carry the team. There was an urgency to remain competitive and not take a step back and Sather made some serious goofs. I'm not arguing the team has been well run for a decade or any lengthy period of time. All I'm saying is that our drafting the last several years has been good/above-average, that's my opinion.