Thread: re: MacT
View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 04:52 AM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The I guess the 2 of you know more about coaching than Mac-T does.
I knew this was coming. One of the biggest copouts in an argument... Spare me the drivel. This is about player personnel and not necessarily coaching strategies (though I'm not too enthused about some of those at the moment). Every coach has his biases and I'm sure everyone here knows that MacT loves to play his veterans whether they deserve it or not. He likes to go with what he knows and what's comfortable TO HIM. But hey, if we're following your example, then I suppose no one on here can relatively talk about anything. That's a good prospect.. Wait, no. You can't praise a player... you aren't a scout and obviously you're not qualified. You want to discuss trades? Sorry, you aren't a GM. Play on the ice? Sorry, you're not a player or a coach. As I said, spare me.

Quote:
And no, Semenov did not do the things like play positionaly sound, or break up passes. He was by far the worst defenseman in the pre-season (of the 7 that made it).
And you would know? You've been to every camp and every preseason game.. and suddenly you know that Semi has been worse enough to be the 7th dman on this team. Funny. I can't seem to find anyone saying that.

Quote:
As for Smyth, he also has a broken finger, and there isn't anyone to really replace him.
Um. The forward position is still relatively crowded if not bursting with experienced talent. If Smyth wasn't playing well, there is a lot more forwards to choose from than a dman. There isn't anyone to replace him? That just doesn't hold water.

Quote:
The Oilers have basically 5 guys playing 20 minutes per night, and I don't think you can argue that Strategy. I mean, Jason Smith has had injury troubles in the past couple of years, so you don't want to wear him down with 22+ minutes per night, so you can at least have him for the season. The only reason Cross gets more ice-time than Bergeron is because he plays on the PK.
Nothing about this has to do with Jason Smith and the rigors of him playing 22 minutes a night. It's putting someone into the lineup who can be more effective. I think it's fairly easy to see that Brewer isn't playing as well as he can. And, some of that has to do with covering for Cross when he makes his untimely pinches and forays into the offensive zone.

Quote:
The defensemen haven't been the problem this year... most of the goals scored against the Oilers have been because of a bad mistake by a forward.
Disagree. It's been both. As much as the forwards have been unreliable in the offensive zone and sometimes in the defensive zone, the glaring giveaways in our own zone by the dmen doesn't help the cause.