Thread: Salary Cap: Nashville Predators Salary Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-11-2011, 09:50 AM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't revenue sharing we should be looking at. It's FULL revenue sharing.

The way I understand it, there are two tiers of revenue sharing. One dependent on your attendance and one dependent on your salary being below the cap midpoint (since its entire purpose is to aid teams in getting to the cap midpoint). We will always get the first tier so long as attendance continues to be good (and I don't believe there is a cap, so even if we begin to sell out every night we're ok in that regard.) It's the second tier that is interesting. At some point management is going to realize that the extra money they receive from being a midpoint team isn't worth the backlash from the fan base over not spending close to the cap. I don't see this scenario happening any time soon, but with a couple of seasons of similar attendance growth and being able to raise ticket prices without seeing a dent in attendance it's definitely possible in the future.

I'm also under the impression that some revenue from non-hockey events goes to the Preds management, too, so that's something else to factor in when trying to determine when we'll be able to stop relying on full revenue sharing, if ever.
Interesting take. All we usually hear about in the newspaper (terrible source I know) is $10 million for revenue sharing, but the link earlier does talk about 2 tiers. I don't understand how much of that $10 million is one tier and how much is the other, but it'd be good to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
To be honest. I can't remember the last time this team said they could only spend to the midpoint.. Also, just because you go over them mid point doesn't mean all the money is gone, it just reduces the amount. I don't know if it's dollar for dollar or just drops a percentage for every dollar over the mid point. So if going 3 million over the mid point cost you 3 million in rs but you gain 6 million in ticket revenue, then the extra 3 mil is worth it.
This is interesting too. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever even heard these owners talk publicly about staying below the midpoint. It used to be all we ever heard about, but I can't remember the last time this was said. I'd be interested to know what the owners' attitudes are about spending now.

Is there any fantasy scenario under which we could get Brad Richards?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote