View Single Post
Old
05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
What do you think he should've done with Pouliot then? Play him on the top-6, where the matchups would have:
- make him produce less because he is faced with better forwards and defensemen
- hamper his line defensively because he's not only much too aggressive he doesn't really have the defensive positioning game to play against top players
- worn him down
- made him look bad as a result of the above?

People really need to realize that playing in the top-6 is in no way a cushy opportunity that allows a player with offensive skills to strut their stuff. If that opportunity exists, it's only on the power play. In the modern NHL, a top-6 role is a serious responsibility that requires two-way ability.

In no way was Pouliot benched for "a single mistake". It was an accumulation. Pouliot's icetime was gradually curtailed because he was not only not getting the job done, but getting worse.

I don't believe that at all. There is no way to argue this considering that by the end of the season Martin was using Subban systematically as the first pairing -- when the option of reuniting Hamrlik and Spacek, who had been effective in this role

Eller was given increasing amounts of icetime in increasingly tougher situations as he developped. It was the same approach used to bring up Plekanec, and that worked quite nicely, thank you very much. Not everyone is Sidney Crosby. Eller is going to be an important piece on a strong NHL club at the tender age of 22. That's really very young.

DD averaged 10 minutes a game in the regular season and, most importantly, almost two minutes a game of power play time. He was not given a raw deal in any way, shape, or form. Considering that he needed to be sheltered, Martin actually went out of his way to give him opportunities -- but DD earned them.

Don't you think that, if anything, MaxPac actually calling out his coach wouldn't normally have led him to getting less opportunity, rather than more?

Look, I think Martin can be criticized for his handling of Sergei (but not his utilization) and he completely borked Latendresse, too. But when you say that this year he has been holding back the kids, frankly, you're imagining justifications to make it stick. You're assuming that Markov and Gorges would have put Subban in the pressbox and that Martin actually cares enough about a kid talking to the media to play him more (yet proved mysteriously immune to all the calls demanding he play DD more). It just doesn't add up.

Montreal played what, four, five rookies on a semi-regular basis? White, DD, Eller, Subban, and Weber? On a 23-man roster, that is a huge number. And that doesn't even factor in MaxPac. That's a lot of NHL icetime devoted to the kids.

After watching the Red Wings and Sharks game last night, I take back what I posted earlier.

Martin is a far superior coach than McClellan and Babcock. Hell, McClellan was using an AHL player last night (Ferrier sp). At least Babcock had the common sense to use his seasoned players, even though he relies on Abdelkader too much.

And damn, did you see how aggressively both teams played? There was very little room for either team to skate. Especially Babcock's Red Wings. I cannot believe that Babcock would force his players to play so hard and intense for 60 minutes. What a dumb ass coach running the risk that his players might be tired at the end of the game.

I prefer the passive, easy skating style of Martin on defense. At the end of the Canadiens games, our players are still fresh as opposed to the Red Wings and Sharks who looked gassed at the end of the game. And I also appreciate Martin not overusing our young guys so that they can be really fresh at the end of the game.

Bravo. Go JM!!!!!!!!! I am now a believer.