View Single Post
Old
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If you go back to the offseason before Hamhuis was UFA (like Suter is now), several people foresaw the Hamhuis "walk" and wanting to capitalize on the assets he could get in return. I think Poile had hopes of re-signing him.

I think a Hamhuis trade would have been yeilidng significant assets in the offseason, especially if packaged Dan Ellis, 1st rd pick, etc. I think a team like Philly would have paid a lot to get at least a year of Hamhuis, Ellis (when his value was decent), and change for *something signficant*.

Don't forget that in keeping Hamhuis that year, we also had to let Greg Zanon walk. I feel like that has been one of the worst "easy decisions" that last couple of years. Zanon is one of the best bang-for-the-buck defenseman out there, and would have done wonders in stabilizing our defensive core past Suter and Weber.

The Suter situation is not as easy to predict has Hamhuis. Nashville wants him, but at what cost? If he wants $6.5m a year, I don't think he's worth it. He's a very solid player, but his lack of shot and offense puts him in a class below most other $6-7m dmen. If you look at Lidstorm, he's solid as they come defensively, but also runs a PP like a machine and scores 15 goals a year. Or Pronger, who also has the dominant physicality as well. I feel like Suter should be about $5.5m. I also think he doesn't belong on a good 1st PP, which would take down his point totals considerably.

If we can get a left-handed bomb opposite Weber, I think our PP would improve-- not the best in the league, but maybe average or slightly above average. Weber is the only real weapon we have on the PP and it's too easy for people to plan against that.
Agreed (though not necessarily on your assessment of Suter), this level of foresight you noted with Hamhuis is imperative with Suter. Poile has to play this situation correctly. We can't afford to be in a position like Atlanta was with Kovalchuk, getting pennies on the dollar for the asset because we misplayed our hand.

If Poile isn't confident that Suter will resign at the acceptable price, then we have to trade him this offseason. We aren't the team that can afford to pay market price for others' highest value assets. So we definitely cannot afford to receive below market for our highest value assets.