View Single Post
Old
05-11-2011, 06:13 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Thanks for the information. That's the type of info I was looking for, especially the part about pitched forward abd neutral stance skates. I have a pair of rebook 7 that allow for quick acceleration and sharp turns; what I don't like about them is that making a quick transition between going forwards to backwards is awkward and I sometimes feel like I'm going to stumble or trip myself. I think it has something to do with the fact that the skate has a pitched forward stance. I wonder if I'd have the same feeling with a more neutral stance skate like the supremes. The skates that are angled forwards force you to skate hunched over while the neutral stance skate I think would provide more stability on the ice allowing you to skate more upright. I wonder if the difference between the two skates is better acceleration and sharper turns with the angled forward skates, while better stability and trasition between backwards abd forwards with the neutral stance. Perhaps two-way players and playmakers are better off with a neutral stance skates while snipers and speedsters are better off with angled forward skates.
I'm sure Bauer will market their Vapor and Supreme lines as for specific types of players, but really things like pitch/stance are just personal preference/what you're used to, I'm sure for every "type" of player in the NHL you'll see a variety of pitches/stances based simply on the player's preference. I have had both skates that put me a bit more forward and those that are more neutral, and honestly it just takes me a couple skates to adjust, then I hardly notice the difference. If you are having trouble with forwards/backwards transitions, you just need more practice, not new skates. Again, you should base your skate choice almost entirely on fit, other things like stiffness, stance, etc. are things you should basically only use to decide between two different skates that fit similarly.

Also, just wanted to clarify, you talk about "skating upright" and "skating hunched over" like having your knees/ankles bent is a bad thing that makes you unstable, when it's actually the opposite. A low, knees/ankles bent stance is best for all forms of skating, you can generate more power and are much more stable with a low, "athletic stance," like this:

Only beginners skate upright, because they're too scared to bend their knees/ankles:

Regardless of the skates you are wearing you want to always have a real good, deep/low ankle/knee bend.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote