View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 01:26 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Uhhhh Crosby and Getzlaf have cups... I think whatever they are doing has worked quite well.

Speaking of players like Getzlaf and Crosby, Should I make a list of top players who hit people in the playoffs, I mean come on! I'M in fantasyland???

So hitting people in the playoffs is a losing strategy? Weird because it seems to me that when teams are being punished with hits they tend to make poor plays with the puck. When the Sharks do decide to hit, I notice an immediate change in puck management from the Wings and most teams. The Sharks are huge, fast team.
Step away from the stat book and watch cause and effect.

Part of the tremendous success in the post season from players like RJ Umberger and Esa Tikkanen came from the chaos they cause when they are destroying people with huge hits.
There are some guys who hit, I never said there weren't. It is a huge risk. When Philly had its run last year, they backed off the hitting. The two recent successful teams where they were using top guys for hitting were the Ducks and Oil. The Pens use their lower lines, or top line throw-ins like Kunitz. Wings use throw-ins as well (Cleary, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom and a little of the Mule). The better way to prove your point is to go find a guy who is both skill and hitting and look at his health history and regularity of production. Off the top, I would start with Iginla as a good example, but he has only been out of the first round once. Getzlaf is a poor example due to health history which doesn't help a teams post season chances. Umberger is a throw-in, marginal top 6. More often than not, the successful skill players don't focus so much on hitting as close checking. See Toews, Dats, Zetterberg, etc.

Crosby and Getzlaf have rings but how have they been doing recently. It takes time for the ref effect. And it is a minor effect. A team can overome the effect, but why should they?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote