View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Never trust any height/weight stats from the NHL, let alone the KHL.
Both Subban and Kostitsyn weigh in at around 215 pounds on a 6'0" frame, if Emelin has a similar atheletically thick body type I could see him being fit at 223 pounds on 6'1" to 6'2" high frame.

The way I see it, the defense the Habs ended the year with was an effective unit that should be upgraded and made younger with the aging Hamerlik, Gill and Spacek needing eventual replacements. Hamerlik's role as a minute eating all situations blueliner that can anchor a pairing on his own will be made younger and better by Markov returning to that role. Gorges is a younger and superior option to Gill as a top-4 stay-at-homer and PK ace. That leaves Spacek, if Emelin can fill Spacek's skates as the anchor of the third pairing and option to compliment on of the top-4 pairings (effectively #5 role) while providing a strong crease clearer to help the penalty kill, the Habs will have both gotten younger and managed to upgrade their defense into one that should be among the best in the conference.

Markov(#1)-Wisniewski (#3-4) (Offensive unit paired against medium competition)
Gorges(#3-4)-Subban (#1-2) (Shut-down unit paired against opposing top lines, likely in conjuction with Plekanec)
Emelin(#5-6)-Weber(#5-6) (Soft minutes third pairing)
Is what I'm hoping Montreal will ice 1 - 1 1/2 years from now.