View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
I guess what I find to be over rated is height. Weight, strength and balance is what you need to control the crease as a d-man. Height plays no factor in any of those things.
Pouliot wasn't the best example, but if you compared Gill and Subban, I think Subban can clear bodies better than Gill. Gill uses his reach and his big body to get in the way of the puck. You never see him man handling anyone and he is 6'7".
All I am saying is I would rather have a D-man who is something like 6'0" 225 rather than a D-man who is 6'6" 210. Again, weight, strength and balance are key and a low center of gravity adds to those more so than being top heavy.
Gill doesn't do it in a flashy way but he does manhandle guys when needed. He was a key is completely shutting down the Krejci line, he would easily move Lucic(215lbs) and Horton(205lbs) out of the way when a shot was on the way.

It's nice to have tank-like strength like PK(6' 210-215) but guys like Pronger(6'6" 210-220) and Chara(6'8" 230-240) are tall and lanky and use their height to knock players off stride.