View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
You're too kind.

At least for next season, and unless the scalpel fails, Timonen and Pronger will be the alpha Dmen on the first and second pairings next season. I like what I saw of Meszaros' game, and he deserves to be paired with one of them. That leaves Coburn and Carle; one should go, and the bottom pair is a vet Dman and the best preseason performer of Gustaffson/Bartulis/other. If this bombs, it can be addressed during the season.

Coburn or Carle? Carle has significantly better numbers for a slightly higher cap hit, but I guess I just have an illogical, blind hatred for Carle because I would trade him first, too. Since Matt Walker is signed for next season, let's hold down the gag reflex, assume he'll be the first choice for the third pairing, and put him with Bartulis (best cap hit scenario).

We subtract Carle's salary ($3.4 mil) and O'Donnell's ($1.3 mil) and add Walker's ($1.7 mil) and Bart's ($600,000), for a savings of $2.4 million. That and the projected cap increase buys Bryzgalov (hypothetically), or Vokoun and space. Switching Bartulis for Gustaffson reduces the savings to $2.1 mil, which is still significant. Walker / rookie might have an adverse effect on collective sphincter control around here, but that's what the start of the season is for, and the onus would be on a stronger G to bail out the D muck-ups.
How about Leino and Giroux's bump in salary, also do not forget Carcillo, Powe, and Nodl. Do not mind losing Carle and keeping the Coburn-Timonen pairing is a key to the top four depth.

I am fine with this:

Meszaros-Pronger
Timonen-Coburn
Gustafsson-O'Donnell

Bartulis

But Walker is an accident waiting to happen and he is often injured. So you either keep him and see if he can play but have a backup plan(aka-O'Donnell or another d-man for @$1-1.5mill) and roll the dice. Bottom line is they need to still stay focused on keeping the defensive depth with Pronger and Timonen a year older and no one in the system who can step in and play significant minutes. The guy who I think is closest is Gustafsson but he is still unproven.