View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Bruce has coached in a patty cake division. Sure carolina won a cup. Our division games were blah before Tampa came around. ZZZ. Hardly prepping us for playoff games.
I agree to a point but simply making the playoffs now says a whole lot more than it did during Bryan Murray's years in charge. I mean back then the Devils and Pens were always pretty bad so the Caps were pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs every year. And then when the Pens and Devils got good the Isles and Flyers went in the tank so Terry Murray's teams were pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs also.

What is more impressive making the playoffs every year and flaming out fairly early now or then? IMO it is doing is now.

Schoenfeld was the first coach who didn't just have to worry about being one of the best 4 teams in his division when 2 of the teams were always awful.

Maybe that is why the finals team was able to claw their way to the finals? They were in a tough division, the last year before the SE came into existence, and they were competing conference wide for a playoff spot.

I don't know...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote