View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Bolded parts are basically the points I made earlier....again may have to go this route but yes teams are in a better position to nab one of these types and it makes less sense for the Flyers but all depends on the Pronger and Timonen situation. May want to go this route and leave some cap space so that midseason Pronger and Timonen don't hold up you can make a move for a stopgap D man at the deadline. I this year it makes the most sense to leave the team with some breathing space as far as the cap but with Holmgren have no such hope....

Quote:
I mentioned in previous blogs that I think young goalies Cory Schneider, Jonathan Bernier and Anders Lindback are all going to emerge as number one goalies in the NHL in the near future if they are traded from their current teams (where each of the three is stuck behind an accomplished veteran). I will also toss the names Jeremy Smith (stuck behind Pekka Rinne and Lindback) Eddie Lack (behind Roberto Luongo and Schneider) into the mix, because both young goaltenders also seem NHL ready.

The Devils are probably in better position right now than the Flyers to nab one of the younger goalies from another organization. The goalie could split time with the aging Brodeur next season and then emerge as a full-time number one goalie in 2012-13, with Frazee also making a push.

Personally speaking, I like Sergei Bobrovsky and think he will become an above-average NHL starting goalie. However, it's also my opinion that the upsides of all three among Schneider, Bernier and Lindback are higher than Bobrovsky's. That could simply be based on having seen Bobrovsky play more than the others, however. The more you see a player, especially a young goalie, the more you notice the flaws along with the strengths.

Regardless of the short-term and long-term decisions the Flyers make with their goaltenders, I just hope every possibility is considered carefully. Pressure from Ed Snider -- or the fan base -- to get Bryzgalov or Vokoun should not in and of itself be the deciding factor in the move that gets made.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...nider/45/35813

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote