View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm just not sure they're going in the right direction. A better direction, sure. But Sather is not a team builder. And while we can look at the youth playing there are still serious flaws. And the #1 method to correct the most glaring need is UFA with Richards. And the way to get (alleged) top talent with him has always been through UFAs (Gomez, Drury, Gaborik, Redden).
At the end of the day, its taken 11 years to get to this point. 7 is you want to use 2004 as some line of demarkation. And, while I like the individual players, I'm not all that impressed with the collective team. They are fun to watch because they play hard. But that's about it right now.

Lastly, I don't care if he saw that "we were right". This is his job. And if it took him 11 years or 4 years to realize that you need to have a farm system, that's even more damning because we don't do this for a living. So, for me, it's not I'm happy he has seen that we were right in the first place," it's "he should have been fired years ago" and/or "I don't see him as the guy who can lead this franchise forward."
Right, well I don't think anyone here is seriously stating that this team is going to be a contender all on it's own like Chicago or Pittsburgh is. If they are, well that's just willful blindness in it's own way. The group needs help. Sometimes, though, that's what happens. I mean, look at San Jose as an example. I'm sure a lot of us looked at San Jose around 2004 and though "wow, here is a group that is pretty young (with top players like Marleau, Cheechoo, Sturm, Stuart, Hannan) and just made the WCF. They're really going places." Yet that group wasn't really enough to get it done on their own. This became pretty apparent to management about 20 games or so into the following season of 2005-06. So they traded some major components in Sturm and Stuart in order to get Joe Thornton and plug a major MAJOR hole in their lineup. Now, it still hasn't gotten them any further than the WCF, but my point still stands. There are plenty of examples of organizations who built a good core of young players, but that core just wasn't enough and outside help had to be brought in. In fact, I haven't gone too far in looking at it, but my general impression of the 1997 Red Wings is one of exactly that. Brendan Shanahan and Larry Murphy were brought in that year. The Russian contingent a couple of years earlier, if I remember correctly.

I don't know how to argue with the "he should've been fired years ago" point, because the fact is that we know the situation. That's why I specifically stated that my opinion is colored by the fact that I know Sather isn't going anywhere. Yes, I'm as resigned to it as anyone else is, but I prefer to look at both sides of what's actually happening, rather than dwelling on dreams of different management. We haven't seen this particular cycle work it's way through yet and I'm willing to watch what happens.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote