View Single Post
Old
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
dangsLITE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Supreme and Vapor skates also fit quite differently, Supreme's have a wider forefoot (the standard "D" width Supremes actually are built on a last with a slightly wider "E" forefoot, while "D" Vapors are actual D width). Also, Vapors have a more pitched forward stance (good for quick acceleration going forwards, but not as great for going backwards), while Supremes have a more neutral stance. I'd say most new skates on the market have a more pitched forward stance than Supremes, which have more of an old school stance, but you'll adapt to pitched forward or neutral within the first few skates anyways.

Bauers are the most popular skates with NHLers, but that's as much about their marketing as it is about the product itself, if you were to compare, for example, the $600ish skates from all the major manufacturers (Bauer one100s, Bauer Vapor X7.0s, CCM U+ CLs, Rbk 11Ks and Easton EQ50s) they're all so close in weight, stiffness, build quality, etc. that you really shouldn't be worried about anything but the fit. Basically the same with any other price point too.

As for custom skates, pros get a lot of custom options, but you can get quite a few custom options retail too. In general at any high end hockey shop they'll have a relationship with reps from the major brands, and if you want they'll have a rep come in who will fit you for a custom skate. Basically the cost is the same as for the top of the line skate plus around $100 or so (regardless of how many custom options you add). Custom skate options generally include:

- Quarter sizes length wise, and different sizes per skate (i.e. you could get 8 3/4 on one foot, 8 1/2 on the other, if your feet are different sizes)
- A wide variety of widths for both the forefoot and the ankle, instead of just the 2 general widths for the whole skate that are normally offered
- A wide variety of liners to chose from
- Different skate stiffnesses
- Some eyelet moving options, basically for more or less volume
- Double stitching (better durability)
- Extra foam around the ankles
etc.

Custom skates are generally (always?) only available for the top of the line skate in each brand/line though, not for midrange skates unfortunately. Before getting a custom skate I'd definitely want to have spent quite a bit of time trying on the retail models, so you know roughly what you want in terms of length/width (for example, maybe a size 9, D width Easton EQ50 fits you almost perfectly, but you'd like it just slightly shorter, with a slightly narrower ankle, it's best to know that going into the custom fitting instead of just relying on foot measurements).
Not trying to doubt you, but where do you get this information? I've heard this dozens of times online, and all the knowledgeable people I've asked say this isn't true.

dangsLITE is offline   Reply With Quote