Old
05-13-2011, 12:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Fair enough.
I watched all Kamloops and all Chilliwack games this season.
The 2 teams were big time rivals, fights and brutal hits every game.

Manning + Ranford played for said clubs.
Both received lengthy suspensions.....2 of the longer suspensions of the year.

Ranford's suspension was a huge hit to Kamloops playoff drive.
Manning's suspension was for a hit from behind on a Kamloops d man......also played a huge role in Kamloops missing the playoffs and also added fuel to the rivalry.

Manning certainly didn't experience anything of a "late-season slide".
6 goals and 13 points in his last 11 games.

Suspensions and injuries were big issues with both players.
The reason for the suspensions was also very newsworthy- breaking a players neck and abusing an official.
Here's the real issue at hand though.

Do you see Ranford's suspension being indicative of a specific pattern of behavior? There are rumors about him vs. his coach, but has he ever been a player to specifically do things like this to cause problems for his own team?

Not that I've seen.

What about Manning? Manning has always played with a physical edge, but he has never done something this serious before. I consider this a little more newsworthy than Ranford's incident, but I still don't think it is at the heart of what Manning brings to the Flyers' organization after a year of play.

Should I have mentioned these incidents? Possibly, but in the end, I didn't even really think about them when writing the article. That, in and of itself, should tell you how much weight I put into both players' suspensions this year.

In terms of the WHL organizations they currently represent, these are possibly heavyweight issues for the 2010-11 season. For the future of the Flyers organization, I don't see these incidents having extreme weight on the expectations we have for either player going forward.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote