View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 06:51 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I knew this was coming. One of the biggest copouts in an argument... Spare me the drivel. This is about player personnel and not necessarily coaching strategies (though I'm not too enthused about some of those at the moment). Every coach has his biases and I'm sure everyone here knows that MacT loves to play his veterans whether they deserve it or not. He likes to go with what he knows and what's comfortable TO HIM. But hey, if we're following your example, then I suppose no one on here can relatively talk about anything. That's a good prospect.. Wait, no. You can't praise a player... you aren't a scout and obviously you're not qualified. You want to discuss trades? Sorry, you aren't a GM. Play on the ice? Sorry, you're not a player or a coach. As I said, spare me.
Yeah, because Mac-T has a whole bunch of veterans in his lineup. Have you ever stopped to consider this: There is a coach, 4 Assistants, and a GM (and an assistant GM too). Combined they make all the decisions (Mind you, the ultimate decision of who plays is up to Mac-T), but unless you see these players every day, you cannot comment on how Semenov would be a better fit. Maybe Charlie Huddy isn't impressed with Semenov and his work ethic, or doesn't think he is in game shape right now, or any number of things. These guys spend more time around the players than you do, and a probably a better judge of whether or not they are even remotely capable of helping the team out.

Quote:
And you would know? You've been to every camp and every preseason game.. and suddenly you know that Semi has been worse enough to be the 7th dman on this team. Funny. I can't seem to find anyone saying that.
I am just going by the reports on here, the sun, a couple of other boards, high-lites, etc... Not once did any of them say he had a good game in the pre-season. Most said that he was out of position alot, not playing the body, and taking bad penalties. And having watched him a lot in the OHL and AHL, he gets like this occasionally, and he isn't effective at all...

Quote:
Um. The forward position is still relatively crowded if not bursting with experienced talent. If Smyth wasn't playing well, there is a lot more forwards to choose from than a dman. There isn't anyone to replace him? That just doesn't hold water.
There isn't anyone to replace him. Even with a broken finger, he is one of the Oilers best players. There maybe a crowd at forwards, but you are kidding yourself if you think any of it can play on the top 2 lines (right now).

Quote:
Nothing about this has to do with Jason Smith and the rigors of him playing 22 minutes a night. It's putting someone into the lineup who can be more effective. I think it's fairly easy to see that Brewer isn't playing as well as he can. And, some of that has to do with covering for Cross when he makes his untimely pinches and forays into the offensive zone.
So then what was Brewer's excuse last year then? Untimely pinches... like when your team is down 2-0 and your team has a total of 8 shots on net? I think times like that call for a little desperation, but hey, that's just me. Yes, when Semenov is playing well he is far more effective than Cross... but when he isn't playing well, he really gets down on himself, and the Oilers don't need that.

Quote:
Disagree. It's been both. As much as the forwards have been unreliable in the offensive zone and sometimes in the defensive zone, the glaring giveaways in our own zone by the dmen doesn't help the cause.
The giveaways haven't been nearly as costly as some of the lack of hustle shown by the offense in terms of backchecking. The problem isn't on defense, it is on offense. If you hold the opposition to 6 goals in 3 games, you have to be better than 1-2, there aren't any exceptions to this.