Thread: OT: UFC Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
That's y I said if he takes a year to do it properly. I think we might see a catch weight fight at 177 or some ****. It's gotta happen and I think GSP will pull it off.
I hope you are right because it would be entertaining as hell, but personally, I don't think it will happen.
GSP is used to fighting twice a year at least, not sure it would be in the UFC's best interest to take him out for that long. Same thing with Silva and it goes as much as 3times. He's already scheduled to fight in August as well. There's no way GSP will fight between now and then. So that would be more off time than just a year. But from what White has said, it seems they will try to make a GSP vs Diaz fight happen.
And, what about Silva?..He has to fight while GSP gets a year off?? Not sure if that's quite fair.
I just don't see it happening at least within the next year, and if it would require GSP taking a full year off, then that means Silva would be 38 by then, and if he keeps fighting at the same rhythm, have three more successful title defenses.
Unless they give both fighters a year off and I really, really, don't see that happening.

As for a catch weight, I also have might doubts. I don't really know what's in it for the fighters. They are part of a ''superfight'' event, but it'll be their first time fighting at such a weight, and what would be the outcome of losing that fight? I think these guys will think about that, something most fans don't really consider. Do they really have more to gain than lose from that fight?
Also, Silva seems to be more natural heavier, and he looked great fighting at 205, getting two KOs when making the jump. I think Silva would be at a bigger advantage dropping down than GSP.
GSP would lose some agility, speed, endurance and stamina as he gains weight which are his main strengths, while Silva would improve them as he becomes lighter (unless Silva decides to cut down 30lbs in 2days, which would be stupid).

I do hope it happens, I think it would be a great fight, but I wouldn't put much stock on it.
Silva is getting older, let's not forget that, he's 35, and he always showed an interest in fighting vs Jones Jr, more so than GSP. Both of them had actually had some mutual agreement to fight each other but White prohibited it as Silva was under contract. That contract expired after the Belfort fight, and obviously, there's some type of new one on seeing as Silva should fight Okami in August.
Silva also previously mentioned a few years back that he'd want to retire at 35 (obviously not happening), maybe that would be a great way to go out.

I think the UFC would have to really break out the bank in order to lure both fighters into that fight.

I'm just skeptical because it seems both these fighters aren't the ''wtv, let's just fight'' type.

I guess we'll see. Can't happen within at least a year though, so, I'm going to remain skeptical about it, and get excited if it is announced.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote