Thread: Michael Russo: Derek Boogaard Passes
View Single Post
Old
05-14-2011, 01:11 AM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
I've been a Wild season ticket holder since day 1 and can say the love the fans had for Boogie was genuine. From a personal standpoint my only experience with him came during training camp in 2006; the club had an open scrimmage at the X for season ticket holders. I brought my sons who were 6 & 5 at the time and had a terrific time.

After the scrimmage players were tossing pucks into the stands for some of the fans. My little guy was down by the ice with tons of other fans around him and managed to squeeze up to the glass. Boogie saw this little blonde haired, blue eyed 5 yr old and made a point of getting him a puck. From that point on my son had two favorite players on the Wild; Boogaard and Koivu. This made the conversation I had to have tonight with my now 10 yr old son and explain that someone who meant so much to him was gone.

I'm sorry but as a Minnesota sports fan this day has just been too much. It was stunning when I heard about Harmon Killebrew at work today. But hearing the news this evening about Boogie was just horrific.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote