View Single Post
05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You would think so, but I doubt it. Perry is an Olympian. He'll make the 2014 team regardless of whether or not he plays in the Worlds again. That's how it goes. Once you've proven yourself as an Olympian you are in and don't have to go anymore.

Tavares and co. are not Olympians, but might be in the future. This will help his chances.

Perry, Doughty, Getzlaf and Eric Staal are all Olympians and don't NEED to come here anymore. They will still be selected in 2014, or 2012 if there is a World Cup.

I would think Subban is a guy he might be refering to. Maybe Cam Ward too.
I don't disagree, I think they singled out Perry because he played in the Worlds last year after having been in the Olympics, but this year said he was too burned out. They weren't criticizing him, they were just speculating that he seemed a likely candidate for being one of the guys Nicholson was referring to.

I actually commend Nicholson, I wish Brian Burke or David Poile or someone in the USA brass would call out the American guys who turned down invitations. I have no problem with the top guys like Kane, Parise, or Miller who have nothing to prove saying no. But when the guys who are on the bubble for 2014 are turning down invitations (and for reasons that Nicholson would deem "lame"), they deserve to be called out. Umberger wants to finish college, Foligno and Bogosian want to focus on the next NHL season, Booth and E. Johnson pretend to be injured...come on guys, put on the jersey and go play.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote