View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 07:47 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
McKenzie is a hockey analyst I listen to, even though I don't always agree with him.

It says a lot for the Sens org that they are that deep, but they got that depth by many consecutive years of stinking. Not something many other fans remember or would tolerate.
I don't think it's that clear cut that they got all their talent from "stinking" for many years...

in recent years, when they have been a good hockey team, they've added star talent - Havlat, Hossa, Volchenkov...

in the past (and recently) they've also added good players from later in the draft - Alfreddson, Fisher, Rachunek, Emery, White, etc...

goaltending they added as well, having nothing to do with sucking... they picked up Lalime when he wasn't worth a lot, and added Prusek with a late pick in the draft...

infact their current success can only be contributed in a smaller part to them sucking in the past (Redden, Phillips, Bonk are their only top picks still on the roster, outside the return they got for Yashin), but the majority of their team was put together from some awesome later picks, and some crafty deals...

if you compare that to the Canucks, the Sedins went 2nd and 3rd, and Allen went 4th overall... not all that different from Redden, Bonk and Phillips, except the latter group is much better... we got Jovo for Bure (Chara for Yashin, Spezza has not had an impact on their success till now, but he will)... the rest though, while we've gotten Cooke, Chubarov, Sopel, etc from our picks, they've managed to get Fisher, Hossa, Havlat, Volchenkov, etc (and we haven't come close in the 1st round or any other for that matter)... there's where the biggest difference is, and it's not because of them stinking, rather the opposite!