View Single Post
Old
05-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
For the Super-league talk here is a good post I found on it elsewhere. It's from about 3ish weeks ago so obviously playing around with it some things would need to be updated:

Quote:
CHL
Allen- Avg Attendance 3,782.6

Being the only team left in Texas does not look good, the attendance is their to support AA hockey. In my model the closest team would be tulsa. If they could get Bossier as well as missisippi then I dont see a problem with travel. I think their is a strong fan base for pro hockey in Allen. I dont see them going to the NAHL. SPHL maybe?

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 60%

Arizona- AVG attendance 2,095.8

Attendance is down drastically, years ago they were drawing more than 4,000 this year barely over 2,000. I think this is a market that would fit well within the west footprint of the ECHL. 4-6 hour drive to Las Vegas would be a nice rivalry. In a perfect world, Arizon will bounce back to drawing close to 4,000 and fit in perfect. I think they will atleast give it a try. What other options do they have?
Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 60%

Bloomington- AVG Attendance 2,479.8

I think the PT are just about done, The new lawsuits and the poor attendance are killers to me. They gave it a shot, and as much as I would love to see it work there, I dont think it will. If they could somehow manage to get in the ECHL, get a great on ice product, they may be able to draw 3,000+. 3,000 is not a good # in AA hockey unless you own your arena or have a favorable lease. Could the PT be heading to the USHL? NAHL? I think we will see them return for one more hoorah, that will end miserably.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 70%

Bossier-Shreveport- AVG Attendance 3,221.8

The mudbugs are rumored to be heading to the SPHL. This will be a very good fit for them. Lower operating costs and still maintain PRO hockey. If the superleague did infact take place, they would have a couple teams with in decent driving range. If Allen, Tulsa, Whitchita, and Missouri jumped ship combining with Gwinnet, Greenville and South Carolina, IT could make for pretty reasonable travle. I would like to see them come along, but rumor have it they are leaning towards SPHL

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 10%

Colorado- AVG Attendance 5,289.0

Seems like a perfect fit for the ECHLS western Division, a natural rival with UTAH would be in effect with pretty reasonable travel to IDAHO, Las Vegas, and the california teams. I am hearing this is going to take place regardless if there is a merger or not.
Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 100%

Dayton - AVG Attendance 1,684.3

There is no way Dayton survives, the ECHL did not want them before, they do not want them again. Dayton needs to hope to hook up with the FHL or try to get something started with the Battle Creek Revolution. Dayton does not have the fan support to support AA hockey.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 1% * you never know I guess*

Evansville- AVG Attendance 1,318.5

This is one of the prizes of the merger, ECHL lost out on Evansville first time around. Attendance is sure to soar with the new arena being completed next season. I can see Evansville being a staple franchise in the Michigan/Indiana/Ohio market for some time. Biggest concern is a junior league comes in and sweeps them away. USHL possibly?

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 80%

Fort Wayne- AVG Attendance 7,451.3

With the Frankes you never know. Will they start up a IHL3? Bring back flint, Pt.Huron? Keep dayton alive? I dont see this happening. I think the Frankes are starting to realize the need for a AA superleague. Unless they make the move to AHL(which I don’t see happening) They won’t turn to juniors. So if a merger did go down their options are ECHL or AHL... My bet is ECHL

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 90%

Laredo- AVG Attendance 3,629.7

Strongly considering moving to NAHL (http://bordertownsports.wordpress.co...er-glenn-hart/) I think this is going to happen, they are on an island in the lower part of texas. I do not think they will have pro hockey next season. NAHL is going to be in Laredo next season.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 5%

Mississippi- AVG Attendance 3,082.7

Although I would like to see better Attendance, the geographic footprint is there for them to join the ECHL/CHL superleague. I think they could draw close to $3,500 in the future, especially with the NHL affiliation helping draw in the casual fans. I don't see any other leagues with footprints that would benefit them.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 75%

Missouri- AVG Attendance 5,390.0

This is another no brainer for the ECHL to accept. With attendance over 5,000 there is no reason to worry about juniors coming in to lower costs. This is a No brainer for the ECHL or Missouri

Odessa- AVG Attendance 2,757.6

Already committed to the NAHL

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 0%

Quad City- AVG Attendance 2,710.6

Another market that may draw more fans from the NHL affiliation. In the 2 years of AHL they drew over 3,000 people. I can see this happening again. Many people have said Quad City is a dead market. I dont think so, with a succesful team, they can draw over 3,000 possibly 3,500. If your team is not good, then attendance is going to drop, No one wants to see a loser.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 65%

Rapid City- 4,926.8-

A team who is kind of on their own geographically but draw huge at the gate. This is a team who will be swooped up by the ECHL with out any problems. I cant forsee any other type of league coming in a sweeping them away.

Rio Grande Valley- Avg attendance- 4,314.1

Not sure if they will have hockey with Laredo(possibly) and Odessa (for sure) going to the NAHL. I think it would leave the Bees on an island. Current legal issues are halting plans of preparing for next season. (http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/art...uits-bees.html) Attendance is great, the question is, what is the travel going to look like, I think wherever Laredo goes, Rio Grande is sure to follow.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 5%

Texas- Avg attendance- 2,177.4

With a very low attendance figure, one has to think. How long can they continue to lose money? Averaging under 2,200 people is not sufficent to maintain a AA hockey budget. If they were able to get a new arena, that seats more than 2,400 people. They might make it work. (http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-wi...tion-of-odessa) suggests the Brahmas are possibly headed to the NAHL. To me, the geographic footprint and the low attendance suggests either NAHL, or SPHL is in the future of the Brahmas

Percent of being in a AA superleague (ECHL): 20%

Tulsa- AVG Attendance 4,665.4

There were rumours of NAHL earlier in the season, I dont see them going this route, especially if ALLEN, and Bossier happen to stay. There is alot of team Geographically who would be put in a Division with Tulsa to make travel ok. NAHL is still a possibility though

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 70%

Wichita- AVG Attendance 5,274.9
No brainer for the ECHL to accept wichita. They would have some of the same rivals as they do in the CHL. I do not see them going to NAHL but their is a slight possibility. Drawing over 5,000 per game is refreshing to the checkbook, as losing money should not be an issue. There is a slight chance of NAHL.
Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 90%

ECHL
Alaska – AVG Attendance 4,194.1

I do not see them going anywhere, perhaps the WHL in the future, but for the next few years, ECHL is where it is going to be. Unless the teams out west all move to another league. They draw great, Travel is brutal.

Bakersfield- AVG Attendance 5,001.7 –

Unless an AHL team moves out west, I do not see bakersfield going anywhere. They draw great and are a staple in the ECHL West Conference.

Cincinnati AVG Attendance 3,859.1

Cyclones are not going to be in any other league, they had AHL it failed, attendance is on the rise again. Whats the saying. If its not broken dont fix it. That is the Cyclones.

Elmira- AVG Attendance 3,480.8

Not going anywhere unless the new FHL makes some huge strides forward in the next few years. The ECHL offers Elmira a pretty nice geographic footprint.

Florida – AVG Attendance 4,968.4

Great Attendance, Not so great travel. They seem to like the ECHL. I dont see them going anywhere.

Greenville – AVG Attendance 3,669.1

New team in the league, drawing almost 3,700 people in first year is promising. Not going anywhere

Gwinnett – AVG Attendance 5,164.7

Not going anywhere, will benefit from the new teams coming in.

Idaho- AVG Attendance 3,899.7

Not going anywhere, will benefit from the new teams coming in.

Kalamazoo – Avg Attendance 3,037.5

Ticket prices going up through the roof next season and new arena issues. IDK how much longer Kalamazoo will support the Wings. Kalamazoo can not afford $15.00 per ticket. I don’t see attendance rising anytime soon. I think the next 2-4 years will tell the future of hockey in Kalamazoo.

Las Vegas – AVG Attendance 3,881.8

Not going anywhere, will benifit from the new teams coming in.

Ontario – AVG Attendance 6,324.6

Unless an AHL team moves out west, I do not see ontario going anywhere. They draw great and are a staple in the ECHL West Conference.

Reading – AVG Attendance 4,477.6

Good attendance, Not going anywhere

South Carolina AVG Attendance 3,140.4

Bad year Attendance wise, maybe something to keep an eye on. If trend continues may need to look at other options in the future. Not right now

Stockton AVG Attendanc 6,196.9

Unless an AHL team moves out west, I do not see bakersfield going anywhere. They draw great and are a staple in the ECHL West Conference.

Toledo – AVG Attendance 5,878.7

Not going anywhere

Trenton AVG Attendance 2,209.3

How long will the N.J Devils ownership keep them afloat. I dont see it happening to much longer.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 60% * maybe another year ?

Utah AVG Attendance 3,939.9

Unless an AHL team moves out west, I do not see utah going anywhere. They draw good and will benifit from colorado joining.

Victoria AVG Attendance 3,645.3
Committed to WHL.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 0%

Wheeling AVG Attendance 2,322.1

A dead market, like dayton, needs to consider joining some form of single A hockey. Wheeling had a fantastic team this year and still could not draw 2,500. Experiments in Johnstown failed as well.

Percent of being in AA superleague (ECHL): 60% * I just think they are losing to much money. Expect them to move* SOON!

Based on the following Information I would put the teams into 2 conferences teams with above 50% chance of joining are in my imagninary conferences.

Western

Midwest Division (really travel to kalamazoo or Elmira is probably further then Bakersfield)
Allen
Mississippi
Missouri
Tulsa
Whichita

Mountain Divsion
Alaska
Colorado
Idaho
Rapid City ?? could be in either
Utah

Pacific Division
Arizona
Bakersfield
Las Vegas
Ontario
Stockton

Eastern Conference

Atlantic
Elmira
Reading
Trenton
Wheeling

New Divsion
Cinncinatti
Evansville
Ft.Wayne
Toledo

North

Bloomington
Chicago
Kalamazoo
Quad City

South

Florida
Greenville
Gwinnet
South Carolina

In my model, obviously you would play teams who are close to you, Example North and New division would play each other a lot. Close inter conference games would be played. Example Rapid City would play Quad city, Bloomington, etc. Same goes for Missouri.

I would love to see this happen, Do we honestly think we could get a 30 team superleague

Markets I think could eventually come in to play as well (teams like wheeling, bloomington, and trenton will not last long unless something changes)

- Flint (someday it will happen)
- Muskegon (poor attendance for juniors, maybe pro hockey is something that needs to return)
- Youngstown ( possibility)
- Indianapolis (would love to see it happen)
- Fresno ( I guess ECHL is already looking into it)
I could NEVER see Flint or Muskegon in this league. I'm sorry, I think the pro hockey days in those places are over, especially with Michigan's economy.

Last edited by Sports Enthusiast: 05-14-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote