View Single Post
Old
05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
That certainly isn't the lineup I expect. We'll likely see players like Kreider, Hagelin, or Grachev make it, one or two of Avery, Drury, or Wolski bought out/traded, and we don't even know if they'll QO Gilroy. Fedetenko is a player that will most likely be re-signed, and with the passing of Boogaard, we could add an enforcer like Eric Boulton or Steve MacIntyre.
That's if one of the prospects make it, though. I'd really feel a lot better about this team if we had another competent scoring winger. Hagelin isn't a goal-scorer, Grachev hasn't found his offensive game yet and it won't happen overnight, and Kreider almost definitely can't handle the 1st line yet, let alone the NHL.
I thought I read Gilroy was almost definitely getting resigned. I'm sure he is, just not at his current salary. Not really a big deal either way, though. And Fedotenko I 180% want back, but as my entire point was heading, somebody needs to be bought out for Richards+ to happen. Without a buyout, we can only just barely fit our RFAs and Richards under the summer cap. That was basically the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
High hopes for Gilroy? He's 27, and he's shown nothing but disappointing play throughout his two seasons here. He's a 3rd pairing defenseman when he's playing at his absolute best, and his best is still below average when compared to the rest of the league. Del Zotto, yes, he should bounce back, and even if he doesn't, he's still a kid, there's still time for him to get his game back together. I expect we'll see that 3rd right pairing opening filled within the organization, or I could see Sather signing a veteran guy.
I guess by "high hopes" I meant, I still have hopes he can become a competent #5. He really shows flashes of decent skill, I think there's something there he just hasn't gotten down yet. He looked tons better in the playoffs, and I think it's worth giving him another shot if he'll back for a cheap $1M~ deal. As for a veteran signing, I don't know how many UFA defenseman I'd be okay with Sather signing this summer. Babchuk still sounds nice, if not just for some experimentation on the powerplay. He's gotten better since he came back to the NHL. Maybe I'd be okay with Jan Hejda. Maybe Andy Greene too. Ian White's name has been thrown around on these boards, but I'm nervous about his upcoming contract, and I'm even more nervous about the fact that he's been on 3 teams this season alone.

Quote:
Wolski will likely be one of the team's cap casualties this summer. I don't expect him to be with the team come training camp, nor do I want him to be anywhere near it. He's just too much of a headcase. Maybe try and trade him for a low pick, and even if no one will take him, we can buy him out for a very low price - that's already been speculated/rumoured by Arthur Staple.
Well, that's my point. I was saying the line-up I originally posted (the way the team would be if we ended up not buying anyone out, or moving anybody) was not going to be very good. Probably a playoff team with Richards, but definitely not an upper seed. No way. If everything went right for me this summer, only 3 acquisitions should be made.

--Richards
--A Top 6 LW
--Cheap, Vet Defenseman, who can maybe even help the PP

Richards is at least somewhat likely to happen, and a Vet 3rd pairing defenseman won't be hard to come by. I just have no idea where that LW can come from. If we have Richards, the 2 main pieces missing would be a Top 6 LW other than Dubinsky, and a good offensive defenseman to pair with Richards at the point on the powerplay. But I still think Del Zotto will turn into just that, so I'm still against any expensive signings/trades for that slot to be filled.