View Single Post
Old
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
First thoughts:

• Forwards: NJ has fairly large advantage in primary scoring due to the wings on the first line.
I'd have to agree that for pure scoring talent it is pretty hard to beat Maurice Richard and Phillips on the wings.

We do gain ground in the center and physically though. As great and under appreciated a player as Henri Richard was - Trottier is better as an all around player.

Middleton is a very good all around player, smart and a smooth skater - not unlike the player he faces off against, Phillips.

And while Maurice is a more talented goalscorer than Gillies any day of the week by a large margin, Gillies will be trying to set off that temper with physical play and harassing defensive play. We want an ATD riot and Richard suspension! Or at least some nice PP opportunities from Gillies provoking the Rocket.

Quote:
NJ has an enormous advantage in secondary scoring, as Guelph appears to rely on Roberts digging the puck out of the corners and getting it to MacLeish for the bulk of their secondary scoring. Defense among forwards seems close.
I think this makes it officially the most repeated line of the draft, but I still believe that Robert is an almost perfect compliment to MacLeish.

His strengths work to fill MacLeish's weaknesses - Robert is just a notch lower than I would have preferred in an ideal world as a pure playmaker rather than primarily as a puckwinner that he is..

I also find Ogrodnick is being woefully underrated by the crowd here. He was a very good offensive player playing for very bad teams (Dead Wings). I was genuinely surprised when I drafted him that many here on a history board didn't even know who he was when he played primarily in the 80s.

Ogrodnick was 3rd in goals and 3rd in points among left wingers during the span of his 13 year career - behind only Goulet and Propp - in a similar number of games. http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points

Quote:
•Defensemen: I think NJ has the advantage here, mainly for two reasons: Coulter is much better than Ramsey and Boyle is better than Guelph's 4/5.
Looking at our defense I think they are very close even in construction with a primary puck mover and primary physical type guy on each line.

I think the gap between Coulter and Ramsey gets possibly exaggerated by the big war years for Coulter, and relative anonymity of a defensive guy like Ramsey playing for the 80s Sabres. I agree he is better though, but Ramsey isn't actually my second best defenseman all around - that is Desjardins.

Boyle I agree with you has been a bit underrated in his career but you keep pushing..

Quote:
•Goaltending: I think this is extremely close, but I'd give a very small advantage to Broda in the playoffs. In my opinion, the gap between the goaltenders is probably too small to make a difference, but Broda does get the small edge.
Poor Turk Broda. Hands down a premier money goaltender in the history of hockey until he is on my team.

I agree that he isn't a lot better than Gardiner, of course, but if I'm picking an advantage to have in the playoffs, I could do worse than having the advantage in the pipes - especially if this series is as tight as it looks like it should be!

Quote:
•Coaching: The one clear advantage for Guelph. Pitner is very good coach, but Arbour is one of the very best ever. Larry Robinson helps (especially with getting defensive matchups), but an assistant coach can only do so much.
Agreed, very few coaches are on Arbour's level. Every time I read that quote in the bio of him about benching any player on his 93 Isles team that didn't believe they could beat that stacked 93 Pens team going for a dynasty, I wish he was still coaching.

This gets to me too, although it is kind of completely unrelated:

Around 3:40 he wells up when told that Kelly Hrudey (or was it Healy? no sound right now) sees him as a father figure. You can tell that making young men into men was very important to him. Who wouldn't bust their ass playing for a guy like that!

Quote:
•Intangibles: NJ beat an extremely physical club in 5 games, while Guelph survived a less physical team, but one featuring an angry Larry Robinson, in 7 games. NJ comes into the series a little better rested and probably just a tad healthier.
We have the eye of the tiger and we put the grrr in swinger.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 05-16-2011 at 02:58 PM.
BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote