View Single Post
Old
05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It isn't rocket science you are right. But guess what? We're talking about a sports team here not Microsoft. We're also talking about a local restaurant that supports their team and isn't using the logo in any derogatory way. I don't deny that the law exists, but the law exists to prevent people from using the logo in a slanderous way or to make the team look bad. It isn't there to nit pick on one guy and **** up his life because he supports his team, and that my friend, isn't rocket science.

A restaurant that no doubt plays the game on TV to attract customers too. Are they going to make a law that the games can't be publicly televised as well? I mean come on. Where's the harm here?
Teams and the league make huge money off of selling those rights to companies to use in advertising. If they didn't enforce these rules, it would undermine the price they can charge on these things.

It's an unfortunate reality of business and this guy is just playing on public sympathy to get this tossed out when he almost certainly knew exactly the potential consequences when he put the sign up. Yes, I get the "little guy screwed by evil corporation" narrative is fun, but this guy is either an idiot or was just counting on exactly that narrative to let him slide by. Odds are, he figured no one would notice and got caught.

Bars and such have to buy a special license for their PPVs and games in regular circumstances. I am sure many ignore that too, but that doesn't make it legal.

There are PLENTY of ways to pull this off without using the logo. Take Boston Pizza. That was amazingly clever and didn't infringe on a thing. This guy just tried to get something for free (this is a giant advertisement for his store, not a public showing of his love of the Canadiens) and flamed out spectacularly. Why would a company like say Mike's (they used to have some actual Habs ads if I recall) pay when other people in the city can just do it for free under the guise of civic pride?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote