View Single Post
Old
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Give. Me. A. Break.

This is a complete farce from start to finish. If anything it promotes the NHL and hockey. It's disgusting is what it is. How anyone can come close to defending the NHL on this is completely beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Did you see the poster? The guy said his kids gave him the idea, and the poster actually looks like it was made by his kids too. Mikes had TV and print ads going out on multiple media formats, seen by millions of people. This guy had one bad picture posted in his restaurant window during playoff time. Forget common sense. I don't even think the LAW would side with you here.
I am absolutely certain it would. The NHL is going to win, if they push this. Likely they'll quietly drop it now that it's made enough waves so idiots who think they can use logos that don't belong to them think twice before doing it in the future.

I get why this looks bad and likely isn't fair (they'll likely settle for a quiet apology), but every company with a valuable IP has to defend it like this or it quickly loses its value.

If he'd put a painting of Thor from the movie up there and said it was his kid's favorite comic book growing up, would you be fine with that? Just because this is a hockey team doesn't change basic law.

That isn't just a picture in a window, it's a giant advertisement that covers the side of a building. I'd be floored if the printer didn't warn him when he had it made.

Now you can make a very logical argument about indirect advertising benefiting the Habs, sure, but that's not how it works. The IP owner controls who or what people can do with it and that's very much a case by case basis. Given this is like the 10th one I've heard of this playoff, clearly the NHL is stepping up and reigning in unauthorized use of its IP, which while unsavory, is their right and, as far as their paying advertisers are concerned, their responsibility.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote