Old
05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If the draft is as bad as you seem to think it is, what's the incentive for a team to forfeit a top selection for a collection of picks amongst the riffraff?

I understand the notion that there's a drop-off after the top 8 or 9 players, but that can be said for just about any draft. The issue this year is depth. The guys from 10-25 are pretty much on the same tier, then you see drop off beyond #60 or so.

With the right scouting, any draft has the potential to be a good one for your team. There may not be an obvious superstar this year, but that doesn't mean there aren't any gems out there.
Some teams will prefer the opposite opinion of mine. Stockpile picks and hope to hit with a few of them, rather than have limited picks and be under the pressure to hit with one of them.

I would say that there is a drop off after the top 4 (Larsson, RNH, Couturier and Landeskog -- and I don't even view Couturier as a real top 4 talent) that is pretty big in size and another drop off after the top 7 or so (Murphy, Huberdeau and Hamilton). That's why I'd like to target around the 8th spot, because there is a progressive sliding scale of a drop off from there to around 20th or so. You will certainly get a better player up there, but it's not a retarded difference that a team will tell you to **** off over. Especially if you throw them two second round picks and they are of the ilk that likes to stockpile picks.