View Single Post
Old
05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
As great and under appreciated a player as Henri Richard was - Trottier is better as an all around player.
Overall, yeah Trotts is probably a bit better than Henri. At even strength? I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Middleton is a very good all around player, smart and a smooth skater - not unlike the player he faces off against, Phillips.
Yeah, they are similar . Both are great complimentary players for a first line (I think Phillips gets a little bit of an edge here though). I wouldn't want either to be the primary triggerman on a top line though, which is what you have Rick doing.

Quote:
And while Maurice is a more talented goalscorer than Gillies any day of the week by a large margin, Gillies will be trying to set off that temper with physical play and harassing defensive play. We want an ATD riot and Richard suspension! Or at least some nice PP opportunities from Gillies provoking the Rocket.
Come on now. You know that Gillies wasn't an agitator. He was a defensively responsible power forward who played with dignity. I'd be worried about someone like Tikkinen getting to Richard, not Gillies.

Quote:
I think this makes it officially the most repeated line of the draft, but I still believe that Robert is an almost perfect compliment to MacLeish.

His strengths work to fill MacLeish's weaknesses - Robert is just a notch lower than I would have preferred in an ideal world as a pure playmaker rather than primarily as a puckwinner that he is..
I like the MacLeish / Robert combo. I think it works. But it provides significantly less secondary scoring than NJ's 2 secondary scoring lines.

Quote:
I also find Ogrodnick is being woefully underrated by the crowd here. He was a very good offensive player playing for very bad teams (Dead Wings). I was genuinely surprised when I drafted him that many here on a history board didn't even know who he was when he played primarily in the 80s.

Ogrodnick was 3rd in goals and 3rd in points among left wingers during the span of his 13 year career - behind only Goulet and Propp - in a similar number of games. http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points
Ugh. There were only four notable LWs who played this whole period - Ogrodnick, Propp, Goulet, and Tonelli. Ogrodnick is barely ahead of Tonelli or 4th, and Tonrlli isn't drafted for his (regular season) offense alone like Ogrodnick.

Ogrodnick was 14th in Goals per game and 15th in Points per game over his career among left wings who played at least 200 games. In an extremely poor era for left wings to boot.

Not to mention that Ogrodnick is a triggerman without a playmaker to get him the puck in prime scoring position.

Quote:
Looking at our defense I think they are very close even in construction with a primary puck mover and primary physical type guy on each line.
Similar in construction, yes.

Quote:
I think the gap between Coulter and Ramsey gets possibly exaggerated by the big war years for Coulter, and relative anonymity of a defensive guy like Ramsey playing for the 80s Sabres. I agree he is better though, but Ramsey isn't actually my second best defenseman all around - that is Desjardins.
What big war years for Coulter? Are you thinking about Pratt? Coulter played at the same time as Eddie Shore and Earl Seibert. I know Desjardins is your 2nd best guy but I think he's more comparable to Pratt in terms of talent and role than he is to Coulter.

Quote:
Boyle I agree with you has been a bit underrated in his career but you keep pushing..
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Boyle has clearly surpassed Steve Smith by now in terms of overall impact. He's much better than your bottom pairing guys, as well.

Quote:
Poor Turk Broda. Hands down a premier money goaltender in the history of hockey until he is on my team.
Eh... Forgetting about Patrick Roy? Regardless, I have a lot of respect for Broda's work in the playoffs. That's why I'm graciously giving you a very small edge in goal for the playoffs,, despite Gardiner's likely superior regular season resume and the fact that he was outstanding in the playoffs, as well.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 05-16-2011 at 05:15 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote