Thread: One timing
View Single Post
05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
vCash: 500
I had a very similar problem up until pretty recently. Now I fixed it. My one-timers still aren't perfect, but getting much better.

A few pieces of advice (they are all "IMO, so be warned!")

1) Practice. A LOT. I spent about 15 minutes each practice passing back and forth with a teammate and taking one timers at an open net. After 3 practices, I started getting consistent.
2) Practice with slow-moving passes first. Once you've gotten consistent at nailing the slower ones, have the passer ramp up his speed. This will help your timing.
3) Practice with SNAP shots first. I feel like the raised stick for the slapshot can throw off timing...I also feel that my snap shot is much more accurate than a slap shot when taking one-timers (and thus I have a better chance of hitting the wide-open side of the net). After you've got the snap shot down, work your way up to heavy slappers. And let's face it: f you're parking in the slot, the big wind up is probably not necessary and maybe not even possible, depending on how badly the defender is tying you up.
4) I noticed that a lot of the time when the shot would wobble/flutter that I was taking those shots from the toe of my blade (or the area between the middle and the toe). I've seen several videos, etc. where players say to take slap shots off of the toe, but I find that when I take shots near the heel I get much higher accuracy and speed. It may differ for you, but getting nearer to the heel was the difference maker for me.
5) Before the pass arrives I usually take a quick peek at the net. That peek tremendously lent to my accuracy when I was consistently shooting wide during practice. In-game, it lets you know if the goalie is reading the pass and you shouldn't take the shot, if someone is moving to block the shot, etc...
6) The final issue I had was fine-tuning my accuracy. I noticed that the puck would consistently go wider than I thought, in the east or west direction the pass was travelling. After actually thinking about it, it makes sense just due to standard momentum. While you are transferring new energy into the puck in the direction you want it to travel, it is still going to have some momentum from the pass. The more parallel to your blade the pass is, the more noticeable this effect is; inversely, the more perpendicular the pass is to your blade, the less noticeable it is. That, I imagine, is where you might be having a lot of difficulty. If the winger is standing in the corner and you're in the low slot, then chances are your blade is essentially parallel to the pass, making timing much more difficult. But if, say, you were a right-hander standing on the left circle dot while you received a pass from the other circle, your blade is at a 45-degree angle (roughly) to the pass as you take the shot. My solution was simply looking to hit a point slightly to the right of my target (I shoot right, and therefore the pass is generally moving left).

Hope this wasn't too much of a novel; I'm just excited I finally figured it out and I'm hoping at least one of these tips helps someone else solve the problem, too.

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote