Old
05-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Dude, you have to relax a little bit.

If your goal is to look like a fat and bloated powerlifter, then go ahead, eat as much as you can and drink your gallon of milk/day. I don't consider that optimal nutrition at all and that's my opinion from my own personal opinion. If you think it's the bible, then good for you man.
I don't care much for the book. But it's objectives are clear and easy: learn proper technique, understand linear progression, get big, get strong. If you want the program to work, then you have to follow all of it, and that includes the diet part (or else, how are you going to add 200-250lbs to your raw squat in a few months?). Until you find a better way to get as strong as quickly, which will never happen, then there's nothing to criticize about the book, it does exactly what it says it will and makes no outlandish claims. By the way, this is what most powerlifters look like:

Most of us naturals or under 5'10 compete under 220 i.e. we don't carry a lot of bodyfat, but a lot more dense and functional muscle than your average person or athlete. For lightweights, it makes no sense to be fat or bloated, it's completely counterproductive.

And again, starting strenght is not a powerlifting book and never will be. It's a book about strength training which can be the basis for gymnastics, weightlifting, powerlifting, football, hockey or whatever you want to do after you finish the program. You don't have to do the program at any point in your lifting career. If you want to be a powerlifter, there are better beginner programs for pound for pound strength. But if you want to gain a lot of weight (with a bunch of it lean mass) and a ******** of strength really quickly, then outside of steroids this is your best bet.

Smoke, buy it over the net. It's a really good novice book, but you'll grow past it in less than a year.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 05-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote