View Single Post
Old
05-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Gainey wasn't hated and neither was Vigneault, in fact, the firing of Vigneault was actually a shock to most Hab fans at the time.

Either way, I am quite happy being part of a fan base that can and does put pressure on the ownership to build a winner. It keeps them honest.
The alternative is to be a Leaf fan and be fed a shovel of **** every year then asking for another the next year.

Tell me, which side of the fence do you prefer heh.
You're telling me the guy who has been called gutless, a coward and lazy on these boards as well as getting booed at the 100th Anniversary game wasn't hated by the end of his tenure here?

And Vigneault may not have received the rancor that some others received, but just like every coach in Montreal he had his detractors.

As for your question, I think it's delusional to believe that we are somehow better than Leafs fans or that we put more pressure on our management to win. Complaining about everything is more likely to result in management just tuning the fans out (see the Halak trade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
But you misread my point. One coach was good. And that was a LONG time ago. The rest were/are ineffective. It had nothing to do if they were liked or hated. They were incapable of winning it all. And they proved that to us.
I don't see how it's possible for me to be off point when I made the initial post that you responded to. I was trying to bring things back on topic with my response to you.

You responded to a post I made about fans hating coaches in Montreal by listing a bunch of coaches you didn't like. Seemed like you were almost agreeing with me.

But if you want to talk about your post, let's do that. Clearly you're frustrated to see two coaches, who in your eyes, will have long and successful careers in the NHL leave the organization while we still employ Jacques Martin. In Guy Boucher you have a young up and comer from the minors with a great pedigree, seen as the next big thing in coaching. In Kirk Muller, a charismatic assistant coach who's a former player that the fans adored.

And when it's all said and done, maybe they'll both be all-time greats. Maybe they'll both go on to win the Stanley Cup. Boucher has sure gotten off to a great start.

But why does this all sound so familiar? Because we've been down this exact road before. Claude Julien was the talk of the minors when the Habs traded actual assets for him and brought him into the organization. Fans were ecstatic. Now you describe him as one-dimensional and riding a hot goalie.

You couldn't find a fan in town who didn't want Guy Carbonneau to become Montreal's head coach. What a warrior he was for us, paying his dues as an assistant coach, he was ready for his shot. Now? A poor communicator who alienated his team.

So, again I have to ask, given this city's track record with coaches, why should I believe that firing Martin and hiring Muller would result in any less whining from the fans about the coaching on this team? And thus, why should I put any stock in what most fans have to say about the current coaching staff?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote