Thread: re: MacT
View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 09:46 AM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Yeah, because Mac-T has a whole bunch of veterans in his lineup. Have you ever stopped to consider this: There is a coach, 4 Assistants, and a GM (and an assistant GM too). Combined they make all the decisions (Mind you, the ultimate decision of who plays is up to Mac-T), but unless you see these players every day, you cannot comment on how Semenov would be a better fit.
You said it yourself. We don't know how well Semi has been playing in scrimmages and practices. But we DO KNOW how our defense has been playing in the past 3 games and it is not altogether impressive.

You, of course, are assuming that coaches and GMs are perfect and see eye-to-eye in every subject. Until they all come out and say Semi hasn't been good enough to get into the lineup, I don't see how you could claim they are all on the same wavelength here. I don't see how the coaches could know necessarily know if Semi was a better fit or not either frankly. It's tough to judge how he'd react to in-game situations when he hasn't been in any to speak of.

Quote:
I am just going by the reports on here, the sun, a couple of other boards, high-lites, etc... Not once did any of them say he had a good game in the pre-season.
And not once did they say he was absolutely horrible either. From all the reports I've seen, he hasn't been mentioned much at all. Again, tell me how you can gather any type of respectable opinion on a defensive player from highlights where the majority of them cover goals scored in preseason?

Quote:
There isn't anyone to replace him. Even with a broken finger, he is one of the Oilers best players. There maybe a crowd at forwards, but you are kidding yourself if you think any of it can play on the top 2 lines (right now).
There we go. Just what I wanted you to say. So Ryan Smyth can play because he is one of the Oilers' best players. And Semenov cannot because he showed last year that he was one of the Oilers' best defenseman. I smell double standard here. Big time.

Quote:
So then what was Brewer's excuse last year then? Untimely pinches... like when your team is down 2-0 and your team has a total of 8 shots on net? I think times like that call for a little desperation, but hey, that's just me. Yes, when Semenov is playing well he is far more effective than Cross... but when he isn't playing well, he really gets down on himself, and the Oilers don't need that.
I never said Brewer had played exceptional last year. However, last year he was more able to make offensive plays with Semenov as his partner. Now I see Cross making those same forays and it's limiting Brewer's opportunities. I don't know about you.. But if I had the choice, I'd choose Brewer creating some chances with Semi covering rather than Cross doing the same with Brewer covering.

Quote:
The giveaways haven't been nearly as costly as some of the lack of hustle shown by the offense in terms of backchecking. The problem isn't on defense, it is on offense. If you hold the opposition to 6 goals in 3 games, you have to be better than 1-2, there aren't any exceptions to this.
They haven't been costly because the other players haven't scored. Cross made two bad giveaways in Calgary. One ended up in our net and the other went right off the post. Nothing the forwards could do to stop those.

Whether or not those giveaways hurt more or less than the forwards backchecking is irrelevant. We don't want either of those to happen. Making those giveaways leads to the defense scrambling in their own zone and a loss of momentum. I'd say that it's significant either way.