View Single Post
Old
05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
teme

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Looking at Russia, Czech, even Finland and Sweden, there are a lot of guys that are either NHL has-beens or "local" stars. Compared to say, the olympics, where the committment is higher on the part of the best players to take part, it's a bit of an afterthought tournament where guys can "stand out" in a fleeting manner. I'm just saying...we've been burned by getting our hopes up for certain players in these tournaments, before.
Just dropped in to say you''ve got a really nice player in Lajunen. But I'll comment a bit on this too.

WCs are a different game, yes some guys who never make it in NHL shine, but even more the other way around. That is lot of very good NHL players are really average or even down right bad. Nagy for example was the best forward for Slovakia IMO, not Hossa or Gaborik. Of the Predators player, with all due respect to Erat or Weber for example, only one that has really left an impression to me in international play is Suter.

It is a bigger rink and a short tournament with little time to adjust. At least for Euros, from quarter finals on it is extremely high pressure hockey. You loose one game and you are out, and they are usually tight low scoring games, one mistake might lead to your entire home nation blaming you.

Lajunen and his line played very well under those circumstances, scoring against Russia and Norway, and the fourth line scored the key winning goal in the final game. I like him a lot, has the basic Finnish grinder elements (speedy and physical, see Bergenheim and Korpikoski for example) but also seems to have some nice puck skills.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote