View Single Post
Old
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
That's where you're wrong IMO (I'm no lawyer), the radio station doesnt claim to be associated with... but Basha didnt claim to be either... and yet, basha is fined...

I think cases like this would be treated differently if it were to go to court... you could always pretend to just be a fan as what you're "sponsoring" is a sports franchise, not looking to make money... contrary to Cage aux Sports for example who is obviously making $ off sporting events shown in their establishments... just showing a sign and be "part of the buzz"

wich is something (being a fan) you couldnt do with Bell/Videotron and others.
How am I wrong? The restaurant owner claimed association by using the Habs logo in his advertising.

Actually no, if this were to go to court, the restaurant owner would be proven wrong and fined. Not the 89K that the Habs/NHL are requesting IMO, but more than a slap on the wrist.

Nice try, but claiming you're just "a fan", and had no intentions of benefiting/profiting from this type of advertising would not be a defense I would recommend.

Cage aux Sports I believe also has a sponsorship deal with the Habs. Meaning, they pay for their rights to advertise, using the Habs.