Old
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
I found a website and this is what they had to say on the keg vs bottle debate:

The primary reason why kegged beer tastes better is oxygen. Oxygen is the enemy of any beer - it slowly combines with carbohydrate, hop and alcohol molecules, and this process of oxidation causes a crisp, sweet, fresh beer to taste stale. Whereas bottles contain quite a bit of airspace with oxygen, kegs are filled to the very top. A 12 ounce bottled beer usually contains substantially more oxygen than an equal sample of its kegged version.

Unlike glass, kegs also protect beer from the harmful effects of light that can react with hops to produce the unpleasant "skunky" notes often encountered in beers packaged in clear or green bottles. Sachin Patel, owner of Five Points Bottle Shop, explains, "Most beer connoisseurs understand keg beer has not seen the light of day and is normally kept colder through the whole distribution process. These two factors help maintain a fresher flavor."

In terms of longevity, most standard bottled beers should be consumed within three to six months after leaving the brewery. Bottled beers sometimes sit on retail shelves or in coolers for months, but pubs and restaurants order kegs based on current demand, and these kegs are usually drained in short order. As a rule of thumb, the higher the alcohol of the beer, the longer it can stand up to age in the bottle or keg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
keg beer isn't pasturized and is usually less carbonated. Makes for an easier to drink and tastier beer. I learned that on Drinking made Easy. Love that show!
Awesome, thanks for this guys. I figured there had to be a reason, but I surely didn't know what that reason was.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote