View Single Post
Old
05-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The biggest problem I have with articles like this is that they favor the players recently drafted over prospects that have been around for a few years - only natural, until you go back and read what was written about the other guys before.

Hickey has gone from a "can't miss #2 or #3 prospect" to #8 on the chart. Reading the things written about him 2 or 3 years ago, he was bordering on elite. The organizational ranking was based on that as well as other players (Teubert) who aren't here anymore. Now, apparently, he sucked anyway, so who cares - but that's what the old organizational rating was based on.

Now it's Schenn, Voynov, etc. instead of Hickey, Teubert, whoever. It seems like the rating remains about the same, but only the faces change. What makes the new analysis any more credible than the old one was?
There was a conscientious effort to avoid that in this instance. Naturally a guy is going to better define his ceiling and his role as he goes forward, there is no avoiding that. Someone who played in all situations and quarterbacked the power play as an eighteen-year-old with big numbers is probably going to whittle down his role and show a clearer indication of his potential production in the AHL, for example.

In the Kings' case, Bernier was obviously a bigh push for them, a guy who has NHL experience and plenty of AHL games under his belt. Guys like Muzzin, Loktionov and Schenn, who got some NHL experience, were also factors in both their depth and top-tier evaluation. Toffoli and Vey, the biggest CHL performers, were considered more as depth than top-end talent. So I really don't see that dynamic at play in this particular evaluation.

Depth and accomplishments at higher levels were considerations throughout. Those things helped teams like Toronto and probably hurt teams like Colorado in these rankings.

As for Hickey, I don't know, I thought he was a reach when he was drafted and I haven't seen much out of him competing against NHL'ers. He's still plenty young but I'd consider him a notable face in the crowd more so than a big selling point today.