View Single Post
Old
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I said the 'Hawks number 6 didn't play much of a role in them winning a cup. Sopel's 18+ minutes a game definitely were important. Hendry's 8? Not so much...

I think when you decide to take the shorter term hit and when not to is dependent on a lot of things. But in this case you have to look at it from the perspective of what they knew going into last season. No way can you look at the defense going into last season and say it is anywhere close to veteran and thus easily able to handle Alzner.

And yes I do think organizational depth played some part in the decision simply because outside of Green and Poti you could have written question marks of variable sizes next to every other guy's name. IMO any bit of veteran status a player had on that blueline carried more importance than it would in a group with a more established core. It is not like it was obvious when looking at that team in it's totality on paper that they were going to be the best team in the league in the regular season by a decent amount.

Again, it is much easier to look at things with the knowledge having seen 2 more regular seasons and 2 more playoff 'runs' brings but the call on the best way to handle Alzner and move the team as a whole forward needed to be made going into last season. It wasn't quite as clear back then how things were going to play out as what we know now...
Thanks for clarifying Chi.

As you remember, getting the vet cup winning Dman WAS included in the Alzner up.

Also, a lot of gap between prez trophy and a struggling to make playoffs.

Again... I expect management of anything to have more clarity and judgement than the average person and "less clear" isn't an answer.

I can appreciate your POV.