View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
How do you figure? I'm pretty sure that Pettite will be resigned. That then would mean a top 3 of Mussina, Pettite, & Contreras. Jon Leiber will be the #5. There is also close to $60m coming off the payroll this year. I'm pretty sure that they will sign another pitcher to go along with the top 3.
Yes Mussina and Pettite are good {though Mussina will now be 35 years old}.

Contreras has thus shown to be inconsistent at the MLB level. He could either way but the likely scenario is somewhere in the middle.

Leiber hasnt pitched in a year and god only knows what to expect out him.

Weaver looks lost and with Claussen gone there isn't anyone expected to make a push from the minors.

the bullpen? well there's a reason why torre wants his starters to go 7, so he can go straight to Rivera {who will be 34 or 35}.

So what you've got his two starters, a bunch of ?'s. a shakey bullpen and a lot of aging players.

williams is aging fast, and i am not convinced this team has a lefit right fielder still. boone has to prove he can hit in ny and Giambi is gonna be 33 and looking to rebound. Johnson has to prove he can stay healthy something he hasnt been able to do in the majors or the minors. Posada is a great catcher but he is a catcher and that carries miles.

not thinking about next year really, just thinking that THIS year might be the last legit chance for this team for a while.