Thread: Some positives.
View Single Post
Old
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
The real worrying part is their craptacular play during these losses. Canucks game was merely grim. The Calgary game was odious.

My positives are as follows:
  • After a long summer without hockey, I enjoyed the Calgary game even if I despised the result. If Calgary were a good team, I wouldn't mind losing to them so much. Despite that, my heart was pounding at the end and I honestly liked watching them play. People forget the simple things in life. I honestly feel sorry for any fan who values winning so much that they miss out on the fun.
  • Hemsky is continuing to amaze me. This time, however, its not his fancy stickhandling or eye-popping passes (although he's made a few), its that he's looking actually pretty GOOD in other aspects of the game, like carrying the puck on the PP and in the defensive zone (sometimes). I'd be pretty happy with a mostly 1-dimensional player if he'd be a bona fide 1st line talent. While there's not guarantees for him to be one (I like his chances), I think its great to see other dimensions. A positive.
  • Salo looked good. Different. Better.
  • The D was fine. Smith looks pretty good IMO.
  • Bergeron is fitting nicely with Ferguson.
A short list, but that's all the positive things I can really see at this point.
You get a gold star for using the word 'odious' in a sentence!

Agree with most of your points, especially the concern not so much about the Oilers losing but HOW they lost. The losses tend to have an extra sting also when you add who it was they lost to. Losing 3-0 to Phillie wouldn't have felt quite so bad as losing 3-0 to the hated Canucks.

One thing I've been pleasantly surprised with is Hemsky getting PK time. He hasn't looked half bad in that regard, and is a big feather in his cap especially when you consider he's only 20 years old. Definitely looks like more than an NHL version of Vince Carter.

Another positive thing...Torres. He's been an interesting player to watch.