10-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781
Dominic Pittis..... are you F ing kidding me???? whats with Lindy Ruff's thinking on this one, yet ANOTHER career minor leaguer cracks the sabres lineup... I'm sorry but Taylor, Botterill and Now Pittis should all be back in Rochester where they belong... the sabres are a young team that are about to go on a long road trip. this would be the perfect opportunity to get some of the youngsters in the system some experience.... Gaustad or Roy should be going on this trip not Pittis.
There is also something to both Taylor and Pittis having some measure of NHL experience. Ruff (and Regier) have to be looking at mitigating loss on this roadtrip, since a rough start is going to put both under some form of pressure from the managing partners. Pittis as a fill-in can be viewed as a more NHL reliable player, even if a guy like Roy (if healthy) or Gaustad with higher upside can provide due to the possibility of mistakes. They're trying to limit rookie errors, gaffs resulting in goals against even though playing time is crucial to development.

It's a bit backward thinking, though not nearly as much as what we could see later this season if Regier feels his job is threatened <i>and</i> there is some hope of a playoff birth. Outside looking in but close enough to see the post-season could very well lead to short-term deals where developing or developed youth is sacrificed for the shortterm. Since this team isn't a playoff contender, I fear longterm damage to the maturing core of the team if panic moves happen.