View Single Post
Old
05-20-2011, 01:38 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
Another Winnipeg Kings fan here with my opinion.

The Jets moved not because lack of interest, but cause the canadian dollar then was horrible and the Jets had a subpar arena with a lack of ownership. We already had hundreds of people flood downtown Winnipeg when that article was published. People here are hockey crazy.
Lack of ownership being the key. Bettman has said (and it's one of the few things I believe that has come out of his mouth) that no team would be relocated if ownership weren't an issue. Winnipeg at the time could not find an owner, hence they were moved.

The same thing is happening with the Thrashers. The Thrashers would still be in Atlanta if they had an owner willing to keep the team there.

Phoenix is a unique situation because the NHL was forced to purchase the team to protect their interests due to legal issues and the city of Glendale has a financial stake involved - neither of which apply to the Thrashers.

At the end of the day, so long as the teams with NHL clubs have ownership willing to spend the money to support the team in that city, there will never be a club move involved. The NHL's mistake was not having sound ownership in Atlanta from the beginning. Their ownership requirements weren't as stringent at the time and they're paying an embarrassing price for it today.

As far as cities - Hamilton would have been a better city for an NHL team to land in than Winnipeg. I'm happy for Winnipeg residents that Winnipeg has a team again, but if I were to rank desirable destinations for NHL teams in Canada - Hamilton would be ahead of Winnipeg.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote