View Single Post
Old
05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
WeeBey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That roster is missing Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek, Ryder, Souray. All talent that was there before Gainey joined.
Komisarek is on that list. I don't know why Souray's not there. Plekanec, Higgins and Ryder all made their debuts the next season. This list is the last full season before Gainey took over.

Quote:
We were well on our way to get a lot better. Gainey had the good fortune to step in at just the right time. Sure the roster we have right now is better, you'd hope so after years of development and more drafting. I don't how much Gainey is really responsible for there though. Timmins was already hired, and things were looking up. The dark years were already behind us at that point. You're looking at a roster that was on its way to get a lot better real fast with/without Gainey. Not like I'm saying anything outlandish I hope.
No, I don't think you're saying anything outlandish, but I don't feel like Gainey gets as much credit as he deserves. He did draft the two players that will undoubtedly be the corner stones of this franchise, one of them he snagged in the second round. Other than the Ribeiro trade, I can't think of any truly, nauseatingly bad moves he's made (unless there really is no truth to Gomez attracting Cam and Gionta) and I honestly believe he did the best he could with free agency.

Quote:
Hell, proof is in the first post in this thread. If Gainey had done nothing but retain players we drafted, we'd be better off right now. We'd be stronger in the middle, and our D would be better too. And with a quick look I'd say that team would have some cap room left to make big positive changes. Now, granted, that's not entirely fair to say that but just goes to show that Gainey got on the bus when it was already on its way to somewhere better.
I don't think that the original list would be a real reflection of where this team was headed. The Montreal media/distractions/whatever proved to be too much for some of these guys and just because they're playing well elsewhere doesn't mean they'd be playing the same level here. Gainey went out and got guys who could play under that pressure instead.

Again, I don't entirely disagree, but I think Gainey has made some positive changes to this team. I think his impact is overstated by some, but also underrated by others.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote