Thread: Speculation: The GM debate
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
what is the structure of the Caps? Does GMGM report directly to Ted who would make the decision as to whether he and BB go or stay or is there a President of Hockey Operations in their structure?
Ted is obviously in charge but he believes a hands off approach works best. Right now GMGM probably has the most authority at Kettler Ice Plex as he's responsible for free agency, coaches, drafting, trades, call ups, resignings, etc. In turn GMGM usually talks to BB about what he needs and other personnel decisions like who to call up from Hershey, as well as training camp cuts, but GMGM gets the final word.

After that BB is in control of all on ice decisions. The lines, strategy, who dresses, who gets scrached.

Ted has said in the past that he pretty much stays out of everything and the only time he would get involved is during very rare and important situations. He's joked that if GMGM were to attempt to do something like trade Ovechkin then he would get involved but other then that he lets the hockey people take care of the hockey decisions. I think the last real hockey decision that Ted had a hand in was signing Ovechkin to a long term contract, he may have also been involved with Backstroms recent resigning but I know for sure that he was there during the Ovechkin negotiations.
Quote:
Playing in the final season of his rookie contract, in 2007–08, Ovechkin signed a 13-year contract extension worth $124 million with the Capitals on January 10, 2008. The contract, which averages $9.5 million per year, is the richest in NHL history. Working without an agent, Ovechkin negotiated directly with Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and general manager George McPhee.[11]
As of now Ted has left the fate of BB completely in GMGM's hands. He will support whatever decision GMGM makes. In short the only real hockey authority Ted has given himself is deciding who gets to shape the Caps roster as the General Manager and if I recall correctly McPhee was the general manager when Ted bought the team.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 05-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote