View Single Post
Old
05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
All of this is my opinion only.

I feel Gauthier has made some great progress in building the Habs into a team that fits his vision. Not only that, he has kept an eye on the farm system and seems intent on filling the pipeline with talent.

The signing of Emelin and Diaz is very telling. It is an indication that he was unhappy with our defense last year and concerned about the ability to re-sign some key players. It also tells me that some of the vets who are looking for new contracts are in trouble.

Gauthier continues to make unexpected moves. The Eller trade, the Wiz trade, signing Emelin, signing Diaz, wrapping up Pleks when it seemed like it might be difficult, picking up Zanette and Berger, signing Nash last year. Those moves added a lot of talent that can quickly contribute to organizational success.

I find the Diaz and Berger signings particularly interesting because of their Swiss backgrounds. I have felt for a while that it might have been an overlooked pool of talent that might be a good fit for Montreal.

Diaz (and or Weber) really seem like they may be in line to fill Wiz's spot if he can't be re-signed at a reasonable price.

I really think his next move will be at forward. Like every other team, the Habs could use another productive forward. I am not so sure that Kostitsyn will be gone but he may be. I am not positive that Gomez will stay; he likely will but there is always a remote chance that he could be elsewhere. Personally, I would like to see an upgrade at his position and at a lower salary but who wouldn't. If anyone can do it, it would be Gauthier.

I get the feeling that Gauthier will do everything in his power to put together a competitive team next year. I also get the feeling that once the season starts, he won't make any big changes unless forced into it by injuries, etc.

He builds the team, the coach puts together the plan of attack and they stick with that, constantly evaluating the team to see what can be done to improve it during the following off-season. Even at the trade deadline next year, I don't see him making any major moves. I believe that approach brings a feeling of stability into the room.

So far, I like what I have seen.
In general yes, but I believe PG made a mistake in not re-signing Dominic Moore and letting Max Lapierre go for little return.

The Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt line was very valuable in the playoffs and should have been kept together. By shutting down one of the opponents top two lines, they gave either Cammalleri or Gionta a chance to play against a bottom line.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote