Thread: Proposal: Kesler for Seguin?
View Single Post
Old
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmCurryman View Post
I don't know if it's your Bruins-bias talking or what not, but Ryan Kesler is WAY better than Bergeron. A 40 goal scorer who can agitate, play the first units on any powerplay AND penalty kill and is one of the top 3 two-way players vs. a player who was ONCE a 30 goal scorer and a good two-way player. I say once because Bergeron's on his third or so concussion and if you simply compare Bergeron's best season with Kesler's, it's no match.
Seguin for Kesler wouldn't happen. Let's get that out of the way. Kesler is a proven commodity, Seguin is an unproven teenager, so Vancouver would never, ever, make that deal right now.

But I will disagree on the Kesler/Bergeron debate. Kesler's never even topped 30 goals until he got 40 this year, so it's a bit disingenuous to label him a "40-goal scorer" until he duplicates the action. It's the same mantra I've always held with everyone in the NHL...you don't earn a moniker like that until you do it regularly (more than once). Just like Oiler fans saying that Penner was a "30-goal scorer" after last year, just like if I tried to make the claim that Lucic is a "30-Goal scorer," etc. Until you can do something with some consistency, you don't earn the right to lay claim to it.

But in terms of the comparison, the only thing that Kesler has on Bergeron right now is point production. That's it. Bergeron is arguably the best faceoff man in the NHL, he's a dominant two-way center in all three zones, he's physical. Kesler scores more goals, and that's about the only thing you can point to. It's a significant category to be better in, don't get me wrong, but it's disingenuous to claim that Kesler is WAY better than Bergeron because it's not true.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote