View Single Post
Old
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Shocked to see I haven't posted in any of these threads yet. Here's what I think about a few players from my view from the armchair here.

I'm a big fan of Khokhlachev. Good vison and a lethal shot. Not afraid to go in dirty areas and use his body. Would be a top 10 pick in this draft if he was Canadian. I like him so it probably means we won't draft him

Scheifele has been a fast riser due to his great U18 tournament. I'm always wary of late risers, but sometimes there's a reason for the player being one. He played on a weak team at Barrie and still produced at a more than point per game clip. Wouldn't mind him at 15 at all.

Zibanejad is one of the most complete players in this draft. For that reason, he will definitely be a top 10 pick, and even possibly may go as high as 6 to Ottawa. Would love him but there are other players I'd rather trade up for if the Rangers go that route.

Which leads me to Ryan Murphy. He would be the only defenseman I'd be ok with taking if we move up. The kid is a puck wizard and in my opinion a better player than Ryan Ellis. Take him and it signs Del Zotto's ticket out of New York, however.

Ryan Strome is also someone I'd look at if we can somehow trade up. I see him going in the 6-11 range. Great playmaker that can also put the puck in the net. More explosive than Stepan and is one of the best danglers in this draft class.

Rocco Grimaldi's stock is rising astronomically at the moment. The way it's going, he may not even be around for our pick at 15. Crazy talented, size is obviously an issue, but as we see guys like St. Louis and Ennis produce in the league, most fears about size will soon be irrational as long as the guy can skate.

Here's the cliffnotes in case you don't want to read through all of this:

Trade Up Scenario: Who I'd want (in order)

Strome
Murphy
Zibanejad

Stay at 15: Who I'd want

Scheifele
Khokhlachev
McNeill
Grimaldi
Armia
Bartschi

Stay at 15: Stay away from

Beaulieu
Phillips
Miller
Oleksiak
Biggs
Jenner

Trade Down Scenario: Who I'd want

Khokhlachev (Think he'll still be around in the 20's)
Puempel
Saad (still have hope for him)

The talent in the draft drops off after 9 IMO. How the first round goes after Minnesota's pick is anyone's guess. If you take anything from my post, it can all be summed up by this: take the best player available

In Gordie We Trust