Thread: Plan B
View Single Post
Old
05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
The Rangers are going to have some surplus cash and if they don't get Richards that doesn't mean they shouldn't use it. If Drury's not bought out we're going to have another $7 mil next year. Having said that we shouldn't go wild either or change the direction the team is headed.

The UFA market has several quality 20 something year old defensemen worth looking at. As currently constructed we have a very good top 4 and a pretty so so 5-7. We do have a need for more crunch in our own end and a for real pwp pointman and it wouldn't necessarily hurt McDonagh's development for him to be part of a bottom pairing. The best teams have a solid 6 guys on their backline.

Bieksa is 29 and a very good player and would give us some mean that we don't have.
Erhoff is 28--a solid defender who would help our pwp. He had 50 points last year.
Pitkanen is 27--and very skilled.
Wisniewski is 27--not quite as solid defensively as Erhoff but had 51 points last year and over 20 of them on the pwp.
Ian White is 26.

IMO we should be targeting these guys whether we get Richards or not--in the hopes of just getting one. They are all young enough where they don't harm a youth movement.

There are not so many forwards I like. I wouldn't mind seeing Fedotenko back. Jussi Jokinen, Sean Bergenheim, Brooks Laich, Joel Ward, Scottie Upshall might all be good additions as long as we don't give them huge contracts. A 4th liner with a lot of grit and who reminds me a bit of Prust is 28 year old Cody McCormich. He shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and he sticks up for his teammates and will fight anybody.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote