View Single Post
Old
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Any uncertainty I have beyond that is because I'm not sure how much Gottselig played on the power play - probably much of the time, to score the number of points he did. But I am sure that Lewis scored a lot of his points on the power play.
A little support for the idea that Gottselig scored less of his points on the power play.

Nov 1, 1938 - Calgary Daily Herald:
Quote:
Stewart is certain the Hawks will show vast improvement in one type of play which repeatedly made them look bad in the past - power attacks.

Last season, when a member of the opposing team was in the penalty box, the Hawks consistently failed to show a scoring punch. Stewart promises it will be different this season. He plans to use two power-play combinations. One will be made up of Thompson, Romnes, March, and Gottselig. The other will be formed by Northcott, Blinco, Robinson, and Dahlstrom.
To recap: Gottselig's team, Chicago, played with two power play lines and was relatively unsuccessful. Lewis's team, Detroit, used one unit and had a very successful power play. I think there's good reason to believe that Gottselig was the better offensive player at even strength.

Also consider that Gottselig had his best offensive season in 1938-39, when he got first line minutes as Paul Thompson's playing role was reduced. Lewis, on the other hand, played first-string minutes all along.

Edit: this article suggests that offensive support may have been an issue for Gottselig. Calgary Herald, Mar 10, 1939:
Quote:
Johnny Gottselig is the best stickhandler in hockey. A good scorer when he has any help and a fine checker and puck saver when he is out their single-o, trying to kill off penalties. So our first line would be Apps, Shibicky, and Gottselig.
And another quote on Gottselig's all-star prospects from that season. (Gottselig didn't make an all-star team, as Toe Blake and Sweeney Schriner were 1-2 in scoring.) Montreal Gazette, Feb 17, 1939:
Quote:
Johnny Gottselig is the best stickhandler in hockey. A good scorer when he has any help and a fine checker and puck saver when he is out their single-o, trying to kill off penalties. So our first line would be Apps, Shibicky, and Gottselig.

Last edited by overpass: 05-23-2011 at 06:15 PM.
overpass is offline   Reply With Quote