View Single Post
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
A couple of things:

•While much of what you said about Lewis / Gottselig is speculative, most of it is fair speculation that I do think everyone should consider. Except one thing: Herbie Lewis having his best seasons from 32-33 to 37-38. He was 26-31 years old between these years - a very typical age for a forward of the era to be in his prime. I'd chalk it up to being in his prime ad much ad anything else. This isn't Ron Francis suddenly having a breakout at age 30 with Jagr.

Even if Gottselig is the better offensive player (and you'd have to make a couple of favorable assumptions to think he was), Lewis is the better overall player, as his defensive advantage is quite strong. And it's not a deal breaker by any means, but Lewis is the one of the two players who is in the Hall of Fame.

•Fun fact: Doan and Palffy are the only members of the Swamp Devils top 9 forwards not in either the North American HHOF or the IIHF Hall of Fame.

•The Smith line and Starshinov lines are really a 2a / 2b situation with both receiving nearly identical ice time on average. Whichever line performs better in a game will get more ice time, particularly in offensive situations. I'll put up an estimated minutes chart later tonight.

•If the physical advantage of Ottawa's third line is a factor, so is the physical advantage of NJ's second line. Starshinov and Mayorov play a grinding in-your-face style, and I think they'll work together better than Nash and Bain.

•I certainly think NJ gets the advantage when Starshinov plays against Bain.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote