Thread: News Article: Should Gilroy get a QO?
View Single Post
Old
05-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
I don't think some of you guys realize what a bad defensemen is. I'm not a stat-freak, but +5 over the last 2 seasons (127 games) isn't as awful as some of you guys make him out to be. You over exaggerate things just a tad bit, mainly because of his lack of physical play. I've seen bigger, stronger bodies play weaker in dirty areas of the ice.

He's only going to improve. He knows the team, knows the coaching staff, knows the system, and is still being groomed as an NHL dmen. There are no holes in his effort. He didn't get to spend a year in the A. You can't compare playing up in beantown and being a professional hockey player. There is a learning curve, and that can take a few years. We already invested 2 years coaching him. Let's see what he can do with it.

His real value will come offensively. Marc Staal scored 5 goals his first two season's in the league. With about, 50 more games played. It wasn't until his third full season he actually started producing something offensively, by nearly doubling his prior years point total.

Sure, a couple hundred K over a veteran replacement is a bit of a risk, but I feel it's well worth the reward. It's not foolish to think Gilroy's best days are ahead of him. I'd give him the same exact contract he signed, 2 years 3.2M...

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote